Hiking is an outdoor activity done in almost every part of the world. Hiking ranges from bike hiking, foot hiking, long-distance hiking, fast hiking e.t.c. hiking can be a boring activity if done alone. It is advisable to go with someone if the thought of going hiking arises either for protection or companionship.
Dogs are great companions regardless of whatever activity you are doing. But not all breeds of dog are fit for long trailing.
However, do Dobermans make good hiking dogs?
Let’s dig in and find out.
Do Dobermans Make Good Hiking Dogs?
As a dog owner, it is intuitive to always try to find companionship for your pet, especially in this case ‘Dobermans’. The first thing you should put into consideration is whether your Dobermans are suitable for hiking. This is mainly because hiking is an intense sport that requires preparation. Basically, providing Dobermans with the right exercise is not always easy, considering their personalities and physical characteristics.
Dobermans are powerful and energetic dogs that need plenty of exercises, they are prone to be aggressive or irritated if they are not exercised. They are also considered people-oriented dogs. They are affectionate and socially friendly. But do they make good hiking dogs?
Dobermans are very good hiking dogs, they are very energetic and love to trail the outdoors. They are also excellent tracking and hunting dogs. They are great for long trailing or short trailing. They are pack animals that love being near their owners all the time.
However, it is important to check their health before going on a hiking adventure and also make sure they are kept at arm’s length all the time.
- 8 Best Hiking Chairs for Every Environment In 2022
- List of the 9 Best Yaktrax for Hiking and Buying Guide In 2022
- 9 Best Knee Brace for Hiking With Arthritis and Buying Guide
What Breed Of Dog Is Good for Hiking
There are 360 officially recognised dog breeds. As the saying goes, dogs are man’s best friend. They make excellent companions and protectors.
However, not all these dog breeds are capable of hiking. They differ in size, shape, strength, stamina e.t.c.
Here is a list of dogs that you can go hiking with;
- Australian Shepherd: they are an intelligent and adventurous breed that always wants to run. Initially, they were used as dogs to control herds, they still excel at it today. They make excellent hiking partners, as they can be controlled and suitable for long-distance trailing.
- Vizsla: this breed of dog hails from Hungary. They are very energetic and super friendly and affectionate. They make a perfect choice for hikers looking for a hiking companion.
- Weimaraner: this is a hunting dog that was bred to work long outdoor hours. Weimaraners are loyal, caring and perfect hiking partners. They are also fast and strong, they can do well on both long and short expeditions.
- Australian cattle dog: they are basically like the Australian shepherd. They make excellent hiking companions.
- German Shorthaired Pointer: They make an excellent hiking companion. They were originally hunting dogs, even though they still perform the task to date. They still enjoy long hours of strenuous tasks in any climate. This makes them perfect for both long hikes and short ones.
- Bernese Mountain Dog: they are a strong, energetic working breed with also a gentle personality.
- Alaskan Malamute: This breed is a strong working dog used to pull carts and sledges over long distances. They are also playful and controllable which makes them a good hiking partner.
- Portuguese Water Dog: This breed loves to work, it also makes a good family companion. They are adventurous and affectionate, they are very happy when they get lots of exercises.
- Reviews of 10 Best Water Bottles for Hiking and Features
- List of 7 Best Military Backpacks for Hiking & Features
- Reviews of 8 Best Puffy Jackets for Backpacking & Guide
What Are The Recommended Gear for Hiking Dog?
For dogs to be good hiking partners, there are some gears you need to get for them. These gears not only protect them, but it also enables them to be able to protect you fully.
Here are some of the gears that you should get for your dogs before taking them on a hiking adventure.
- Dog Leash: Even though some people are not a fan of using leashes on dogs, it is important to have one on them while hiking with them. It is very important because you need something to use to pull them and you do not want your dog wandering off.
- Dog bowl: This is important for the dog’s meal
- Dog boot: If you are going on a long hike with your Doberman, it is important to take boots along.
- First Aid kit: This is very important for dogs as they are liable to wander into where they might get hurt. Taking a first aid kit reduces the rate of the injury getting infected.
- Collar with GPS: You might want to let your Dog trail off-leash, this collar helps you to know exactly where your dog is.
- The 10 Best Hiking Pants To Avoid Ticks In 2022
- 8 of the Best Hiking Boots for Yosemite and Features
- List of 10 Best Handheld GPS for Hiking and Reviews
Doberman s are strong and powerful dogs, they also make a strong and reliable hiking partner. But there are some limitations to their strength, they can run at 40 miles per hour but they can not walk a distance of over two miles. However, they can be trained with a series of short distances to make them fit for long-distance hiking.
Regardless of these shortcomings, they are one of the best breeds to go on hikes with. It is also important to know your dog’s health before going on a hike, know your dog’s limitations, and understand its biology.
Hiking with dogs is relatively safe and enjoyable for both the dog and its owner, the dog protects the owner from dangerous situations while also providing companionship.